Connecticut Judicial Branch Home

New Haven County Courthouse

New Haven County Courthouse
Postmarked 1910
New Haven County Courthouse
Postmarked 1913
New Haven County Courthouse
Published 1914


Postmarked 1916

New Haven County Courthouse
Copyright 1917
New Haven County Courthouse
Copyright 1920
New Haven Souvenir Postcard
Copyright pre-1920
New Haven County Courthouse
Postmarked 1920
New Haven County Courthouse
Published 1924
New Haven County Courthouse
s
New Haven County Courthouse
s
Bird's Eye View of New Haven, Connecticut
Published between 1933-early 1940s

A prominent and stately presence on the New Haven Green since its opening in 1914, the New Haven County Courthouse at the corner of Elm and Church Streets was one of a handful of buildings commissioned by New Haven County to bolster its City Beautiful movement. Modeled after St. George's Hall in Liverpool, England, the courthouse was designed by New Haven architects William Allen and Richard Williams.

The building's design infused Beaux-Arts principles in a Neo-classical style. Construction began in 1909 and five years later, at a cost of $1.3 million, the structure was completed. It officially opened its doors on March 24, 1914. Statuary in front of the Courthouse by noted sculptor J. Massey Rhind and murals and lunettes inside by famed early 20th Century painter T. Thomas Gilbert help give the imposing building its aesthetic appeal. Today it serves as the Geographical Area #23 Courthouse.


Click on any picture to
see a larger version
This court today

  Postcards Home
  Court Jigsaw Puzzles
  Courthouses Today
  Visit a Courthouse External Link
  Kids' Stuff
  Judicial Branch Home
 

New Haven Green
New Haven Green c.1940New Haven County Courthouse
Postmarked 1948

Panoramic Souvenir
Postcard of the
New Haven Green

New Haven Green Panoramic

   

Attorneys | Case Look-up | Courts | Directories | Educational Resources | E-Services | Español | FAQ's | Juror Information | Media | Opinions | Opportunities | Self-Help | Home

Common Legal Words | Contact Us | Site Map | Website Polices and Disclaimers

Copyright © 2013, State of Connecticut Judicial Branch