Connecticut Judicial Branch Home

G.A. 10 Courthouse in New London
(formerly Williams Memorial Institute)

New London GA Court - 1907
Copyright 1905

New London GA 10 Courthouse - 1906
Copyright 1906

New London GA Court (formerly Williams Memorial Institute)
Postmarked 1906
GA 10 Courthouse in New London (formerly Williams Memorial Institute)
Published pre-March 1907
New London Courthouse
Postmarked 1911
Williams Memorial Institute
Published 1921

Williams Memorial Institute was opened in 1891 through a trust fund bequeathed by Mrs. Harriet Peck Williams to establish a free girls' school in memory of her son, merchant Thomas W. Williams II who died in 1855. The trust empowered trustees to build a school when $150,000 had accrued in the account. In 1881, trustees announced that $60,000 would be spent to erect the building. However, by the time its doors opened in 1891, the cost had grown to $85,000.

The building housed the high school for New London girls until 1951, when the City opened a coeducational high school. The Institute remained open for three more years as a college preparatory school. In 1954, the school moved to its present location on the Connecticut College campus, where it operates as a coeducational college preparatory day school for students in grades 7-12.

In 1972, the State of Connecticut signed a 25-year lease and the Judicial Branch soon opened a Courthouse in the building once called the Williams Memorial Institute. In 1997, the State purchased the building for $200,000 and began renovations.

Today it remains Geographical Area (GA) Courthouse No. 10 at New London, where all but the most serious criminal cases are heard.


Click on any picture
to see a larger version.
This court today

  Postcards Home
  Court Jigsaw Puzzles
  Courthouses Today
  Visit a Courthouse External Link
  Kids' Stuff
  Judicial Branch Home
 

New London GA Courthouse
Postmarked 1911

   

Attorneys | Case Look-up | Courts | Directories | Educational Resources | E-Services | Español | FAQ's | Juror Information | Media | Opinions | Opportunities | Self-Help | Home

Common Legal Words | Contact Us | Site Map | Website Polices and Disclaimers

Copyright © 2013, State of Connecticut Judicial Branch